- subsidiary of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of NigThe Centre for Financial Studies [CFS] is a wholly-owned eria [CIBN].
- The CFS is a new baby just delivered onto the Nigerian financial landscape in August 2013.
- The temporary site is the 4th Floor, Bankers House, CIBN, PC 19, Adeola Hopewell Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Had 2 successful programmes:
Centre for Financial Studies (CFS) is a body corporate and a subsidiary of the Chartered Institute of
Bankers of Nigeria. The CFS commenced operations in July 2013 and its temporarily situated on:
- Free Breakfast Session in August 2013 on the CBN’s Competency Framework
- A 2-day Seminar held from November 6 – 7, 2013 on Gender Economic Inclusion in the Nigerian Financial Services Industry.
Bankers House, CIBN,
PC 19, Adeola Hopewell Street,
Victoria Island, Lagos.
- Inability of organizations/professionals to operate at the latest level of knowledge in the global sphere e.g. basel 1,2,3..; Strategic HR
- Shortage of research-basedideas / opinions /information
- Dearth of sound policy papers /research-based policies & legislation
- Paucity of ethical professionalism in the banking & Finance Industry
- General scarcity of research resources in the industry and nation as a whole [even our universities are low in research activities]
- Exposed the inadequacy of knowledge & skills [competencies] in the banking and finance industry especially as relates to executive capacity.
- Weak Corporate Governance in banks and other financial institutions
The Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria [CIBN] has established the Centre for Financial Studies [CFS] to:
- Offer relevant research-based thought leadership for c-suite executives in leadership positions within the banking and finance industry
- Deepen and update the knowledge & skills [competencies] of top level executives in the financial services industry.
To be the most globally respected African Centre for Financial Studies.
To facilitate knowledge creation, transfer and thought leadership in the African financial services sector and provide innovative ideas to Industry, Academia, and Government.
- Ethical professionalism
REASONS FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF CENTRE FOR FINANCIAL STUDIES
OBJECTIVES OF THE CENTRE
- The expansion in the scope of activities of the Nigeria banking industry post-consolidation
- The recent financial crisis
- Quality of graduates produced by Nigerian tertiary institutions
- Poor level of professional competence of other categories of employees
DESCRIPTION OF ACTIVITIES
- To engage in Research on topical emerging and contemporary issues in the Banking and Finance Industry.
- To engage in policy advocacy by generating position/occasional papers on relevant and topical issues in banking and finance.
- To be a game changer and best-in-class-institution in the quest for upgrading the competencies of banking & finance practitioners.
- To collaborate with universities and other institutions towards the achievement of the objectives of the Centre.
CORRESPONDENCE AND ENQUIRIES TO BE DIRECTED TO:
- Guest Speaker Series
- Breakfast Sessions
- Public Lecture
- Research and Policy Activities
- Research Database
- Occasional Paper Series
- Policy Position Papers and Comment Letters
Centre for Financial Studies [CFS]
4th Floor, Bankers House
PC 19, Adeola Hopewell Street
Victoria Island, Lagos
BOARD OF DIRECTORS